I was browsing at Light Locations, one of my favorite online sources for design inspiration, when I noticed this photo of the bedroom below. I think it’s just so beautiful – modern but still romantic.
The contemporary wallpaper, the Eero Saarinen table and stool, and that amazing overhead lighting fixture give the room a decidedly modern feel. But the soft, coral color on the walls, the white drapes and touches of silver add a sweet, feminine touch.
I went first to the website of Lori Dennis Interior Design to search. I’ve featured some of Lori’s rooms before (check out an amazing geometric beauty here) and I just a had a feeling she’d have something to fit into this category.
I found the pretty bedroom at right. Look at the cool pendant light and the circle pattern on the duvet cover. It’s definitely modern.
But adding a plant and that fun, fluffy, furry white throw changes the entire look of the room.
Then, the room is staged with those teacups. So feminine and sweet!
Lori Dennis was sweet to let me use the photo at right and the ones below, which feature another beautiful bedroom.
This one is in a modern loft, evidenced by the exposed pipe and the industrial windows. But by adding a tufted headboard and the more traditional, floral fabric, the room is also romantic. I love too that Lori has broken rules about sparseness in a modern room and added the delicate accents on the bedside table. Very pretty.
So what are the elements that can add a little romance to an otherwise modern room? Try these (just not too many at once if you want to keep the modern look):
- A chandelier. Look how the modern black and white room at right (from Better Homes and Gardens) takes on a whole new look with crystal chandeliers.
- Flowers. Whether you add bouquets of flowers (see the photo at right) or floral fabrics, as in the Lori Dennis room above, florals always add a touch of romance.
- Add some silver, like the wallpaper up top or the silver frames on the Lori Dennis room above. You could also try a silver vase or a pendant.
- Use white and pastel colors. If you look at the room up top, the pretty coral and the white drapes are part of what gives the room a feminine feeling.
- Soften up your lighting. Nothing says romance like dim or even pink lighting.
- Add a little lace. Even the smallest touch can create a feminine feeling.
What do you think? Do you like the combination of modern and romantic? Does it work?